1 Peter 1:3-5 A Living Hope: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.”
My “living hope” is based on the resurrection. Without the resurrection I have no hope for eternal life.
Peter starts this section out with a shout! “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!”
Peter again reminds us that we are saved because “he has caused us to be born again”. This guarantees our “inheritance”. God is the One who “has caused” it to happen “through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead…” giving us the faith to believe and receive His free gift. To God be the Glory!
My “inheritance” is…
- “imperishable” it won’t degrade or spoil.
- “undefiled” Absolutely perfect. Untouched by the sin of this world.
- “unfading” Will look as fresh and good in a million years as it does today.
- “kept in Heaven” under the security of the Living God.
- “Guarded through faith…” My gift of faith has everything to do with my inheritance and my salvation.
The full effect of my salvation will be seen in “the last time” when Jesus returns and reigns as Lord and King.
Prayer: Father, we look forward to the day you make our salvation complete. Thank you for keeping our inheritance safe, secure and undefiled. TESt