1 Peter 1:13-14a Prepared and Obedient
“Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance.”
Peter starts off this section with a call to “prepare our minds for action”. Sounds like we are going to war! He wants us to be “sober-minded”, to not allow our mind to be distracted by anything including drugs, social media, relationships, hobbies, education, etc. Being prepared for action means thinking through, planning, being ready in a moment’s notice to act. For Christians this means being on the lookout for our enemies, our own sinful nature, the world system and the devil. They are warring against us trying to get us distracted into sinning. Stay alert!
“As obedient children…” Our prayer should be “I want to be obedient to you, Father. Help me. You are my only hope. I am bent toward rebellion.
“…do not be conformed…” Romans 12:2 echoes Peter by saying “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,”
Let us commit today to prepare our minds for the battle ahead as obedient children of the most high God and use all the tools and weapons He has provided to not conform to this world and be sober-minded.
- His Word. Read, study, memorize, meditate and obey
- Our salvation and relationship. Remember who you are and that you have been b
- Bought with the blood of Jesus and are His special treasure sure to receive an inheritance beyond imagination.
- Conversation with God. Keep the communication lines open by confessing our sin and staying in fellowship. Enjoy sharing everything with Him. He desires to hear from you.
- Value our brothers and sisters in Christ. God has given us the church to help us as we navigate this earth. We need each other. Love the church, the believers in your life.
- Mark 12:30-31 Love God and love you neighbor.